Films you consider some of the best but aren't particularly recognized

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Films you consider some of the best but aren't particularly recognized

It can either be as a great film in a specific genre or a film you genuinely think is one of the greatest of all time but is generally forgotten in lists, by the critics, etc.

I'm not particularly versed in Exploitation Cinema, but one I consider a masterpiece is Female Convict Scorpion: Jailhouse 41.

This is the second film in the 4-part series starring Meiko Kaji, but I ended up watching this one first, thinking it was the first in the series.

However I think it's perfectly fine to watch the sequel first because it might be a better introduction to the character than the first film.

It's one of the most fun and inventive "pulp" films I've ever seen. The music, cinematography and even the acting is top notch. You even get a mini-Kabuki sequence telling the background of the characters. It's an extremely sophisticated film in terms of cinematic language.

Part one is good, parts three and four are fairly weak, but the second film is amazing.

So it's one of my favorite films despite obviously never appearing on any "best of" lists.

Just take a look at the ending sequence (no spoilers)
Working...
X